Friday, March 4, 2011

Thrifty Crafting

   Hi everyone,  Happy Friday!!!  It looks like a rainy weekend but we have alot of things planned so the show must go on  :>   The fun part is tonight.....dinner & a Pink Floyd concert (tribute band), it should be alot of fun & we're definitely looking forward to it.  Saturday & Sunday will be work days as we are finishing the rest of our basement (yep, I know more remodeling.....why do I do this to myself?) and have lots to do there.  It should be great when we get finished & I'll have to post some pics.  I may have to have another Spring Fling for the MM girls  :>
   Now for something a little more fun.  I've been on a mission for the past year or so to pare down some of my huge stash of craft supplies & scraps of papers & embellishments leftover from other projects so I try to do a "scrap craft" once a week using these items.  This week I chose to use a pkg. of cute chipboard from K&CO that I picked up on clearance.  When I opened the pkg. I noticed how cute the cardboard backing was & since it was fairly lightweight I decided to use it too on my projects, which makes the buy an even better deal.....now that's being pretty thrifty I think!  My husband would be proud of me.  So I also selected some scraps of kraft cs & pastel patterned papers from my stash, a little rick rack (which I have in many colors, it's kind of a staple for me) along with some pretty pink buttons.....something else I have tons of, a little light pink floss and some tiny alpha stickers from MM that I also got on clearance and have used on many projects.  I gathered all of my goodies  together in front of me & was inspired to make some spring cards   :>  I had enough kraft paper scraps to make some 3" cards & also one 4" card.






   First I cut & scored my cards & rounded off the top right corners with a punch.  Then I cut tiny pieces of the cool pkg. backing and added that along with a scrap of dotted green paper cut with Fiskar's "cloud" scissors (I love these.....they're probably my most used decorative scissors!).  I was trying to figure out where to use the bright pink rick rack & so I tried it around just half of the card & liked it just like that!  There wasn't alot of room on the cards for a ribbow bow, which I add to most of my cards, so I just used some of the pink floss to make a tiny, just barely there little bow  :>  For the 4" card I used just a little square of the background paper & a scrap of blue dotted paper cut with a scalloped edge.  This time I used the floss tied around the journaling block.

   The next step was adding the cute chipboard pieces.  They might seem kind of large scale for such tiny little cards but I think they work just fine.  I added a pink button to the floss bow & used the alpha stickers to spell out the sentiments.  The stickers were almost the same color as the background so I decided to pop them up with foam tape to make them stand out a little more.  I had a few colored alphas as well and used them along with another leftover sticker to spell out the " hi u".  These were fun to make and I LOVE using things I have on hand or have had for awhile.





   I was going to decorate these cute envelopes I found at Archiver's but the cards ended up being too wide to fit so I came up with a fun solution which I'll show you in my next post.  So I hope you like my little cards and challenge yourself to do some "scrap crafting" of your own.  I still have supplies leftover from this challenge and have another cute project to share with you but that won't be until next week.  Hope you all have a great weekend & try to fit in a little crafting time if you can,   delisa   :>

1 comment:

  1. OMG what a great idea and an adorable project.... I may just do this myself!

    Hugs,

    Sue

    ReplyDelete